The History of Poole Yacht Club
Poole Yacht Club has a long and varied history of racing, sailing, cruising and social activities. Since its founding in 1852, members have taken part in local regattas, raced against each other and with other Clubs such as Parkstone and Hamworthy, or quietly spent time sailing within the harbour or further afield.
Early Commodores such as William Curling (who took part in the very first America’s Cup Race around the Isle of Wight in 1851), or Sir Ivor Guest, later the 1st Lord Wimborne, were chosen more for their fame than their prowess in running a Club!
Using a local hotel as its headquarters in the 1890s, the Club then settled into premises in the High Street in 1900, where it remained until the 1940s when the lease ran out. Incorporating the Hamworthy and Bournemouth Sailing Club in 1949, the Club moved to its Hamworthy site – now occupied by Poole Harbour Commissioners – where it remained for another 35 years or so. The requirement to reclaim land and accommodate ever-larger cross-Channel ferries saw the Club move to its current location in 1984.
The sailing and social traditions of the Club are still strong.