- Written by Poole Yacht Club
In 1935 Col. Pierce called a meeting of members who decided that it was time to build a proper Clubhouse to provide better facilities. A new Committee was formed with Ken Morgan as Hon. Secretary. Don Farmer became Hon. Sailing Secretary and the local Bank Manager, a Mr Aubin, was elected Hon. Treasurer. Col. Pierce of course remained Commodore. The Committee decided to buy an old derelict cottage with its ground reaching back to the railway line and the sea.
The price paid was £125. Plans were drawn up by an architect member, Eric Elford, for a new building to be built on the site. The Bank advanced an overdraft of £1200 with the Commodore, Norman Hibbs and a few well known yachtsmen as Guarantors. The Club was then re-named 'The Hamworthy and Bournemouth Sailing Club'. The name Bournemouth being added in the hope of eventually attracting some Bournemouth businessmen who were friends and acquaintances of Norman Hibbs and so help with the additional finances. The first building which occupied part of the site of the old Clubhouse, consisted of changing rooms on the ground floor, a lounge bar above, and above that a small gun deck. Subscriptions were raised to 10/6d for gentlemen and 5/- for ladies. The building was completed in 1936 at a cost of £486 and was opened by the Mayor of Poole on August 29th that year. The mayor arrived by sea on board Col. Pierce's yacht 'Thordis' (a model of this motor yacht is still in the Club). A salute of 21 guns was made from the gun deck followed by another salute of 21 guns from the yacht! All yachts moored off the club and the Clubhouse itself were dressed overall, a remarkable sight. The Mayor of Bournemouth also attended together with other dignitaries.
A Steward was engaged to run the bar and was temporarily housed in the old cottage. However, this building was in a very bad state of repair and it became obvious after a while that the Clubhouse would have to be enlarged to provide accommodation for the Steward and also to cope with the growing increase of members which now had exceeded 450.
A new wing was added in 1938 comprising a billiard room adjoining the lounge with a steward's flat below.
The Sailing Committee decided that dinghy racing should be further encouraged by adopting a 'one design' dinghy class to provide level racing. Plans were drawn based on the International Snipe design with certain modifications. This class was known as the 'Hamworthy One Design' later shortened to Snipes. These were of 3/8" mahogany hard chine construction 16ft long. Six of these dinghies were built by R.A. Newman & Sons, the then famous boat building firm, their premises being opposite the Club now occupied by S.O.S. Total cost including sails and gear was £30! They were sold to individual Club Members and some very keen racing began. Don Farmer, the Hon Sailing Secretary who did so much for the Club sailing wise for so many years, encouraged and fostered the class to a great extent, and the fleet grew to over 20 boats at one time. One of the owners at the time was Ken Mooring-Aldridge who owned No 2. Ken is still a member today and ranks as our longest serving member, in fact a founder member of the Hamworthy and Bournemouth Sailing Club.
The Club continued to prosper, the membership rising to 600 and over. It was known locally as the 'Ham & Bone'.